is a freelance writer from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
His previous columns are archived HERE.
Trumpwatch 2017: Lighting the Fuse
CAPE BRETON, NS | Our Canadian glamour boy PM Justin Trudeau is in the doghouse these days. The ethics committee is about to lower the boom on him for taking an unauthorized helicopter trip. Apparently, he and his family took a ride to Sheik Aga Khan private island in the Bahamas for a holiday. It has been reported that he could be fined as much as $500 for his sins. How Canadian.
I mention this only so we Canucks can be happy we are not south of the border these days. Some of you may be indulging in a bit of Schadenfreude but don't think the orange nightmare won't be having a profound affect on us as well.
So, let's see what parade of atrocities has our bloviating buffoon saddled us with this week.
I read with great interest remarks made by Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor under Clinton. He says that Trump has such an overblown sense of entitlement that sooner or later he'll over step and be impeached. This is what Republicans are sitting in the bush and waiting for. Then Pence would be Schutzstaffel no more and would rise to F¨hrer status.
- He re-endorsed torture as a tool against terrorism. Never mind that the military brass says it doesn't work. Never mind that it's against the Geneva convention and especially never mind that we have troops in harm's way all over the world who could at any moment fall into enemy hands.
- He got the Justice Department to demand a postponement of the Texas law restricting voter access. It has been shut down more than once by the lower courts already. Can you detect the slimy tentacle of Steve Bannon at work?
- The Wall. Still beating that drum. He's like an idiot savant without the savant part.
- He proposes moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem thereby abrogating any chance whatsoever for Mid-east peace. I wonder if top advisor/son in law/orthodox Jew had any influence over this contumelious decision?
- He got CNN all in a tizzy about the ridiculous claim that some 3 to 5 million illegal votes were cast during the election. Now why would he do this? Is he that insecure? Must he have the popular vote as well as the electoral? I'm thinking that while the news agencies and the public are being dazzled by this absurdity, he and his henchmen are chipping away at the Constitution. (see Texas voter suppression above)
- He took the podium in front of the CIA's wall of stars honoring those who died for their country and proceeded to compliment himself for the marvelous inauguration speech he gave and railed at the press for not crediting him with having the biggest crowd in the history of mankind watching it. If he's not just a gold-plated jackass, he must be the most tone-deaf clown ever to draw breath.