Log Cabin Chronicles
BOB'S GUIDE TO BIDNESSPEAK
When working in office environment, it is important for survival to understand what is really being communicated. This guide to Bidnesspeak may help!
Employer's Lingo: what they say and what they mean
Employee's Lingo: More of the above from the other side of the paycheck:
- "COMPETITIVE SALARY" We remain competitive by paying less than our competitors.
- "JOIN OUR FAST-PACED TEAM" We have no time to train you.
- "CASUAL WORK ATMOSPHERE" We don't pay enough to expect that you'll dress up; well, a couple of the real daring guys wear earrings.
- "MUST BE DEADLINE ORIENTED" You'll be six months behind schedule on your first day.
- "SOME OVERTIME REQUIRED" Some time each night and some time each weekend.
- "DUTIES WILL VARY" Anyone in the office can boss you around.
- "MUST HAVE AN EYE FOR DETAIL" We have no quality control.
- "CAREER-MINDED" Female Applicants must be childless (and remain that way).
- "APPLY IN PERSON" If you're old, fat or ugly you'll be told the position has been filled.
- "NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE" We've filled the job; our call for resumes is just a legal formality.
- "SEEKING CANDIDATES WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF EXPERIENCE" You'll need it to replace three people who just left.
- "PROBLEM-SOLVING SKILLS A MUST" You're walking into a company in perpetual chaos.
- "REQUIRES TEAM LEADERSHIP SKILLS" You'll have the responsibilities of a manager, without the pay or respect.
- "GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS" Management communicates, you listen, figure out what they want and do it.
Robert Gervais teaches Bidnessman stuff in Montreal.
Home | Stories | Opinion
Copyright © 1999 Robert Gervais/Log Cabin Chronicles/1999