|LOG CABIN CHRONICLES||UPDATED
|Jim Austin's Vermonter at Large|
His previous columns are archived HERE.
"With half his brain tied behind his back"
What was your reaction when Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN on the same day that he was accused of using black market prescription drugs?
Personally, I reacted in an unbiased manner: I fire-hosed a sip of coffee through both nostrils and laughed for several minutes. I still can't get the smile off my face.
I guess Al Franken was right. When he wrote his best-selling book a few years ago entitled "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot," I thought it was just a catchy title that would appeal to liberals like myself. Currently, the only person in America who doesn't think that Limbaugh is a big fat idiot is Trent Lott.
Does it surprise you that Limbaugh described Eagles quarterback Donavan McNabb as a black man whose abilities have been hyped by the press because they are, "very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There's interest in black quarterbacks and coaches doing well."
It does? Well let's review the career of our tubby blabbermouth compiled by FAIR, a media watchdog concerned with Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting:
* As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back."
* A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"
* In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."
* In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a ninety-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."
* When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate - she was the first black woman ever elected to that body - Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's "Jeffersons" when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-when discussing black leaders.
These remarks are not Klan material, to be sure. They are simply the insensitive statements common to the garden-variety meathead of which Limbaugh is an archetypal member. Given his on-the-record history of racial insensitivity, why would ABC hire the moron?
Does ABC, whose subsidiary is ESPN, even care that seventy percent of the NFL is black? Other dimwits have been fired by big media for their racist remarks, among them Jimmy the Greek who worked on one of the prime time pregame football shows and Al Campanis, Dodgers general manager who shared his view that blacks lacked the "necessities" to be coaches and managers.
These two puzzled pinheads were fired. Rush was smart enough to read the handwriting on the wall and quit.
ESPN needs to bear much of the blame for this debacle. They hired the motor mouth because of his controversial views and controversy they got. What they didn't understand is that Limbaugh's radio audience are sheep who baaah in ecstasy every time he opens his giant pie hole.
Sport on the other hand is a subject that caters to a more intelligent exchange of competing ideologies. (I can't believe I said that) However, compared to Limbaugh's radio show, SportsCenter is a Rainbow Coalition Meeting.
Just to make sure that we all know just how deranged and pathetic our former blather master Limbaugh is, let's mention that he has been accused of strong arming his maid for her prescription drugs. According to the Washington Post she has turned over tapes and emails proving that El Bloato has been hooked on oxycontin and other prescription drugs for years and has twice entered rehab.
Wow, when this mighty Republican mammoth falls from grace he cracks the concrete.
|HOME COLUMNS FEATURES FICTION OPINION POETRY PHOTOGRAPHY|